Here’s what you need to know about three measures that are on the November ballot.
California State PTA supports statewide ballot measures Proposition 15 and Proposition 16:
Proposition 15 (the California Schools and Local Communities Funding Act, but better known as Schools & Communities First) would reform Proposition 13 of 1978 by creating a “split-roll” tax, leaving residential property taxes untouched while reassessing commercial and industrial properties at market value.
Commercial properties valued at less than $3 million are exempt from the proposed tax.
The nonpartisan Legislative Analyst’s Office estimates increased revenues of between $6.5 billion and $11.5 billion per year, of which 40% would go to California K-12 schools and community colleges. The other 60% goes to local governments.
Because of the magnitude of the increased funding for schools and communities, the California State PTA (CAPTA) supports Proposition 15.
For the facts on Proposition 15 see this Ballotpedia article.
Proposition 16 would repeal Proposition 209 from 1996, which made California one of the only states in the U.S. to ban equal opportunity policies in state hiring, contracting, and education. If passed, Proposition 16 would allow race, gender, and ethnic diversity to count as factors (but not decisive factors) in education including college admissions, government hiring, and government contracting.
The California PTA, including the Santa Monica-Malibu Council of PTAs, believes that Proposition 16 is an important measure “to restore critical equal opportunity policies in state hiring, contracting, and education.”
For the facts on Proposition 16 check out Ballotpedia
Lincoln PTSA members have voted to support local Measure SM, which is also on the November ballot:
Local Measure SM
Supported by LMS PTSA, Measure SM is also supported by Santa Monica-Malibu Council of PTAs.
If approved, Measure SM, which would impose a parcel tax on transfers of property of more than $5 million, will provide an estimated $3 million in financial resources to the Santa Monica City Council for use in essential services, including libraries and afterschool programs, among others.
The PTSA encourages you to vote YES on local Measure SM.
For the facts on Measure SM go to SM Vote.
Did you know?
Eight SMMUSD sites are available as early voting centers. The sites in Santa Monica are open from October 30th through 8pm on Election Day. See the list of sites and opening times.